Are y’all ready for the weekend? I hope so because it’s right around the corner. For most of us, I think it’s fair to say it starts tonight. How about I give you my favorite links of the week to kick it off? Yes, you say? All right, then. Read on!
- Giveaway: Episodes of Girl Genius, the multiple award-winning steampunk webcomic series by Phil and Kaja Foglio, have been collected into an omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens and five copies are being given away. Here’s a link. Deadline is March 23.
- io9 has posted its March guide to science fiction and fantasy movies, TV series, books, conventions and author appearances. Here’s anything you wanted to know about SFF happenings this month.
- Are you an SFF desktop wallpaper junkie? Tor has posted free wallpaper showing the ebook art for The Great Hunt, Book 2 of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
- Tor has released a free mini ebook anthology containing a few of their favorite short stories from 2011. Of course you can read them on the website, but if you prefer, you can get a copy for your favorite e-reader.
- Here’s some very geeky news. Researchers from the University of Sydney have run some numbers regarding the effects of faster-than-light space travel and have come up with some very disturbing conclusions. It seems that warp speed travel could have the unfortunate effect of completely obliterating anyone or anything at the travelers’ destination once they arrived. Nothing like blowing up your welcoming party. Ouch.
- On a lighter side, you can get your Han Solo carbonite crayons here. Yes, that’s right. An image of a frozen Han Solo is available in eight cheerful colors for only $4. If you prefer, you can get crayons of Yoda, R2D2, or horror of horrors, Darth Vader’s head. That’s just not right.
- How about the new Avengers movie? For those of you who can’t wait, a new official trailer is now available. Looks like fun to me. What do you think?
- And finally, I have a fun video clip for you. It’s really kind of a time capsule, actually. I came across a 30-second commercial for the “new” Star Wars lightsaber by Kenner. It’s…um…inflatable. Balloons not included.
How about you guys? Did you find anything fun I missed? I’d love to see it. Just click on the comments bubble at the top right of this post.
Have a great weekend and I’ll see you next week.
Disclosure of Material Connection: At times, some of the links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”